Life offers you so many beautiful things to see, you won’t want to miss a moment of it! That’s why it’s important to preserve your vision and take steps to ensure your eyes will catch every sunset vista and happy event. To keep your eyes healthy throughout your life, take a look at these five tips to prevent vision loss!
1. Protect Your Eyes from Hazards
People who work in potentially dangerous professions know the importance of protecting their eyes from damage. But did you know the average person should also take steps to protect their eyes from harm? A surprising number of common activities can pose a danger for the health of your eyes.
- If you’re using a weed whacker or lawn mower, you should wear protective eyewear to guard against flying particles the machines may kick up.
- Consider eye protection when using powerful household chemicals.
- You should wear protective eye gear if your hobby utilizes chemicals, solvents, or other powerful chemicals. This also applies if your hobby involves a process where particulates can fly into your eyes, like woodworking.
- Headed out into the sunshine? Put on your shades! Sunglasses help protect your eyes from the sun’s rays.
2. Eat Right and Stay Healthy
Your eyes are part of your overall health. This means when you’re eating healthy foods and keeping your weight in check, you’re prolonging the life of your eyes. Eating dark leafy greens, fruits, vegetables, and foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids like some fish, can help you keep your vision healthy.
3. Quit Smoking
It’s not an easy task, but it’s worth the work! Smoking contributes to macular degeneration, cataracts, and other vision issues. Find a smoking cessation system that works for you and kick the habit!
4. Control Your Blood Sugar
Diabetics can lose their vision if their blood sugar levels don’t remain controlled. Ask your doctor how you can keep your blood sugar within normal, healthy parameters.
5. Schedule Routine Exams
The most important step to keeping your eyes healthy is to see your vision care professional for routine exams. Behind on yours? Schedule it today!
Valley Eyecare Center is Here to Support Your Eye Health
If it’s time for your routine eye exam, Valley Eyecare Center is here to support your eye health journey! You can contact us online, or call us at (602) 955-2700 to set up an appointment!