Your eye health is an important part of your overall well-being. Fortunately, it’s easy to take steps to maintain the health of your eyes. Check out these seven simple ways you can protect your vision today!
- Learn about your family’s eye health history. Many eye diseases, such as age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma, run in families. Learn all you can about your family’s health history and share that information with your eye doctor.
- Stop smoking. When you stop smoking, you improve the health of your entire body – eyes included! This one change in your habits can dramatically cut your risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Take care of your long-term health conditions. If you have chronic health difficulties such as high blood pressure or diabetes, you are at an increased risk for eye issues like glaucoma. Ask your eye care professional about how you can lower your risk.
- Eat healthy foods. Eating healthy helps your overall well-being, including your vision. It can also help you keep any chronic health conditions that may threaten your eye health in check. Include dark, leafy greens such as spinach or kale in your diet. Also eat plenty of foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids, like tuna or salmon.
- Set a good exercise habit. Exercise makes it easier to manage any chronic health conditions that may threaten your vision. It’s also good for your body! You don’t have to hit the gym for exercise to count, either. A walk around the neighborhood is all you need to start!
- Protect your eyes with safety gear and sunglasses. You know it’s important to wear safety gear when playing sports or using harsh chemicals around your home. But did you know that your sunglasses help protect your eyes from UV rays? This protection can lower your chances of developing cataracts.
- Find an eyecare professional you can trust. Your eye doctor is an important partner in your vision health. They can spot many eye diseases before the symptoms even start. Ask for recommendations from friends and family, or contact Valley Eyecare Center!
Let Valley Eyecare Center Be Your Partner in Vision Health
Valley Eyecare Center has vision specialists waiting to learn more about your unique vision needs and give you the support you need to maintain the health of your eyes. Contact us online, or call us at (602) 955-2700 to set up an appointment today!