If you are new to wearing contact lenses, you may have a few questions about how to properly care for your contact lenses. At Valley Eyecare Center, your eyes are our top priority, so we’ll go over the basics of contact lens care this week.
Do’s and Don’ts of Contact Lens Care
Keep the following safety tips in mind when you are caring for your contact lenses.
In your contact lens care routine, please do the following:
- Wash your hands before touching your eyes or your contact lenses
- Clean your contact lenses in contact solution
- Stay hydrated, drinking plenty of water throughout the day and using eye drops when necessary
- Wear sunglasses in addition to your contact lenses
- Follow the instructions given to you by your optometrist
- Replace makeup regularly, especially if it touches your eye
- Come in for a regular appointment with your optometrist to check your prescription
Please do not do the following:
- Store your contact lenses in water, especially tap water
- Sleep with your contact lenses in. Always take them out, even just for a nap! Even if your contact lenses are specifically designed for sleep, it is still a good idea to take them out at night.
- Reuse old contact solution, as irritants may be in the old solution
- Put your contacts in if they are inside-out. Your contacts should look like a U, not a V
- Put your contact lenses in after applying makeup—it’s always safest to put the lenses in before you apply your eye makeup!
Keeping up with your contact lens care routine is important! To learn more about caring for your eyes and contacts, or to schedule an appointment with an optometrist at Valley Eyecare Center, call (602) 955-2700, or visit our website.