Keeping your contacts in their best condition is important! If you wear contacts, make sure to follow these simple tips!
Tips for Maintaining Contacts
- Wash your hands before touching your contacts or your eyes
- Clean your contacts after you wash them
- Clean your contacts if you drop one of the lenses
- Blink often to keep your contacts clean
- Update your prescription annually
- Remove your contacts if your eyes are dry
- Carry a storage case unless you need to take your contacts out during the day, and keep a pair of eyeglasses handy so that you can switch if needed
- Replace contact solution after it has been open for a month
- Close your eyes if you use hairspray—this product may leave residue on your lenses!
- Apply makeup after you put your contacts in, and remove lenses before removing your makeup
- Consult your optometrist if you are concerned about your vision
- Wear contacts if your eyes are itchy, irritated, red, or dry
- Use the wrong chemicals to clean your contacts
- Mix up your lenses—to avoid this, make sure to pick an eye and always put your contact lens in the selected eye first
- Rub your eyes vigorously
- Leave your contacts out in the heat
- Share cosmetics, especially ones around the eye
- Apply eyeliner to the inner eyelid, as this can touch your contact lenses
- Touch your eyes without washing them first
- Take many naps with your contacts in
Maintaining your contact lenses doesn’t have to be difficult, but it will take some getting used to if you are new to wearing contacts. To learn more about our tips about wearing contacts, or to schedule an eye exam with one of our optometrists at Valley Eyecare Center, call (602) 955-2700, or visit our website.