Contact lenses are a great alternative to glasses however proper care needs to be taken while using them. In order to extend the life of your contact lenses it is essential that you are acquainted with the following tips of proper eyecare and lens maintenance.
- Get your pair of contact lens after having your eyes checked by an eyecare specialist. While many advocate computerized eye tests, it is best to get the correct prescription for lenses from an ophthalmologist.
- Always wash your hands with warm water and soap before handling your lenses. Dry them using a clean towel. Ensure that there is no residue of soap left on your hands as residue of soap can stick on to the contact lens and cause not just pain and irritation but may also lead to blurred vision.
- Different lenses are designed to be worn for different durations of time. Wear your lenses only for the prescribed time and never sleep with them on.
- Eyes are the most sensitive anatomy of the body and tend to get dry easily when contact lenses are worn. This leads to itchiness and redness of the eyes. Use saline or a re-wetting solution to keep your eyes well lubricated.
- Opt for daily contact lenses if feasible as they are linked to lesser infections than extended wear lenses and are also more comfortable to wear.
- Remove your lenses before you sleep and avoid wearing them overnight even if they are extended wear lenses. Wearing lenses for a long time increases the risks of contracting an eye infection.
- Use lens cleaners and eye drops as prescribed by your eye doctor. You may need to try out different samples to ensure you are not allergic to the solution.
- Clean the case that you store the lenses in, after each use in hot water and allow it to dry. Replace them once every 3-6 months.
- Disinfect your lenses before every use. Never clean lenses with saliva as this will lead to eye infections.
For any doubts or queries with regard to eyecare, or use of your contact lens, do not hesitate to contact your eye doctor.