The bright, artificial light of screens is rough on your eyes. Even though phones, computers, and tablets have become an indispensable part of our lives, our eyes can still find prolonged screen time irritating. Your eyes are likely to grow tired or strained after long periods of staring at your mobile device.
Digital eye strain can happen to anyone who stares at a screen for hours on end. If you find yourself with blurry vision, eye discomfort or fatigue, dry eyes, or headaches, you can take these steps to help rest your eyes!
- Don’t hold your screen too close to your eyes. Holding your screen close doesn’t make it easier to read. Instead, your eyes will need to work harder to focus on the display. Your phone should be between eight and 12 inches from you, or about a comfortable arm’s length.
- Upgrade your display. People with older phones and the symptoms of eye strain should consider an upgrade, if possible. Newer models of screens often have increased resolution for ease of reading.
- Remember to blink! When you stare at a screen, you tend to blink less than you need to. This can upset the natural moisture levels in your eyes, which can cause blurriness.
- Utilize accessibility features. If you’re having trouble reading text or seeing details in pictures, zoom your phone instead of bringing it closer. Don’t forget you can make your default text size larger! You can usually find the option in your phone’s settings. Some apps have a separate control for text size as well.
- Follow the 20/20/20 rule. This guideline can help mitigate the symptoms of digital eye strain and keep your eyes healthy. For every 20 minutes you stare at any screen, spend 20 seconds staring at an object at least 20 feet away. This allows your eyes to rest and can help prevent strain.
- Put your phone down more often. There’s plenty of engaging content waiting for you to consume it, so it’s tempting to keep on scrolling. Make a conscious effort to take a break from your mobile devices more often, and for longer.
Pick Up Your Phone and Call Valley Eyecare Center!
It’s easy to keep your eyes healthy when you call Valley Eyecare Center! We’re here to answer your questions about digital eye strain or any other vision concern. You can contact us online, or call us at (602) 955-2700!