The new year is here! With the turn of a calendar page, we all have a fresh start and a chance to set goals to work on during the year ahead. Make better eye health a priority during 2023 by setting New Year’s resolutions that keep you seeing clearly all year long.
If you’re not sure where to begin, we have a few ideas to get you started!
- Wear sunglasses all year long. Arizona summers go hand in hand with sunglasses, but you shouldn’t stop when the warm season ends. Ultraviolet radiation can increase your risk of developing eye troubles such as macular degeneration and cataracts. Want to go one step better? Wear a wide-brimmed hat on the sunniest days.
- Practice the 20-20-20 rule. Screen time often dominates our lives between working on computers, staring at our phones, and watching our favorite shows at night. This year, practice mindfulness of following the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, stare at an object that’s at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds or more. This allows your eyes to relax and can prevent eye strain.
- Eat your way to healthier eyes. The food you eat can affect the health of your eyes. Consider adding more leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables to your diet. Pair those with oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, and tuna for an extra eye health boost!
- Guard your sight with eye protection. Whether you’re playing sports, using household cleaning chemicals, or engaging in a debris-generating hobby, eye protection can save you from preventable eye wounds. You can even choose eye protection that looks great as it protects you for a unique fashion statement!
- Quit smoking. If you are a smoker, you’ve heard this before. Smoking negatively affects your health in many ways, including eye health. The new year is a wonderful time to speak to your doctor about smoking cessation methods that may work for you.
- Schedule your yearly eye exam. Everyone should have an annual checkup to ensure their eyes are healthy and their vision prescription is on point. Make your appointment now!
Happy New Year from Valley Eyecare Center!
Valley Eyecare Center wishes you and yours the brightest and happiest New Year! May the days to come bring you good eye health and beauty to fill your vision. Call us at (602) 955-2700 or contact us online to make your annual vision care appointment!