Did you know that 80% of what children learn is obtained visually? We all want our kids to do well in school, so it is important that they are able to learn as much as they can by seeing properly. Since it is so crucial that children see well, it is always important to take them in for an eye exam.
Signs that Your Young One May Need an Eye Exam
If you think your child might need an eye exam, the chances are that you’re right. Below we have listed a few symptoms or signs that your child may express if he or she cannot see well.
- Squinting or closing one eye in order to see—Your child may squint in order to see things up close or to see things at a distance.
- Headaches, nausea, or dizziness—If your child is having a hard time focusing to see the board in class or to read a book at home, he or she may suffer from headaches because of the extra effort it takes to see properly.
- Rubbing eyes several times throughout the day—This sign may indicate that your child is trying to refocus his or her eyes.
- Excessive clumsiness—Tripping or bumping into things may be a sign that this young one needs an eye exam!
- Avoiding reading—Good vision is required for reading, so if your child has recently reduced the amount of time spent reading or has stopped reading entirely, it may be time for an eye exam.
- Reduced academic performance—Some children may not know how to express that they have trouble seeing. Although they may be trying their hardest at school, they may not be able to achieve everything that they could without improved vision.
We all want the best for our kids! Ensure that your child can see to his or her full potential! To learn more information, or to schedule an eye exam with one of our optometrists at Valley Eyecare Center, call (602) 955-2700, or visit our website.